The Whippany Fire Company, in its 100th year of service to the community, will soon have a new home.
On February 1, 2015 the Whippany Fire Company Relocation Committee, The Township of Hanover Governing Committee, and the Whippany Fire Department Commissioners ceremoniously broke ground on the new location of the Whippany Fire House located on Troy Hills Road in Whippany NJ.
A century ago in 1915, a group of concerned citizens came together to help protect and assist their community and created the Whippany Fire Company. A few years later in 1923 they purchased a piece of property on the corner of Route 10 and School Street and built the Whippany Fire House. The firehouse has been used to house the fire department’s equipment and members, served as a meeting hall for Hanover Township, and was the home of the Whippany library for many years.
The Whippany Fire Company is now at a similar point 100 years later as they write the next chapter in their history. The Whippany Fire Company has been working on the relocation existing facility for well over a decade and today they broke ground on their new firehouse which is being built to serve the community for the next 100 years.
For more information about the project and fire company, please visit their website at www.whippanyfire.com.
Pictured in photo:
Whippany Fire Company Relocation Committee: Fred Brunner (President), Thomas Braviak, Rob Cobane, Joseph Cortright, Frank Minerowicz, Robert Newell, Henry Winters
Township of Hanover Committee: Ronald Francioli (Mayor), John Ferramosca, George Coppola, Robert Brueno, Jr., Thomas Gallagher
Whippany Fire Department Commissioners: Henry Hansch III (Chairman), Ron Barz, Bob Cobane, Michael Mihalko, Julie Mihalko
Not pictured: Janet Gant-Hammond, John Keena, Joseph Krygoski